Jalapeño Cheddar Mashed Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 2 jalapeños seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups mashed potatoes(see link below) previously prepared
- 2 7oz can diced green chiles(mild)
- 8 ounces of your favorite shredded white cheddar variety from Cabot Cheese!
- More Cheese
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Finely Chopped Spanish Chorizo or Crumbled Bacon
- In a large pot, add the butter and oil. Heat to medium. Once butter melts, add the onion, jalapeño, garlic and poatotoes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the milk and chicken broth. Stir well to combine. Cook and a slight simmer just until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the mashed potatoes and diced green chiles. Continue cooking for another 7-9 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.
- To serve, add 1/3 cup of Cabot shredded cheddar cheese to the bottom of the bowl. Ladle in the hot soup on top. Garnish with croutons,more cheese, jalapeño slices and Spanish chorizo. Yields 6-8 servings.
You can follow this recipe for mashed potatoes, minus the cheese, to use for this potato soup recipe.