2 pounds bone in, skin on chicken thighs
4 cups water
4 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
4 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup buffalo hot sauce
3 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
3 teaspoons msg…yes, that’s what I said, lol!!(optional)
2 teaspoons chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons turmeric
You Will Also Need
About 5 to 6 cups of oil for frying
1. Transfer the chicken to a large plastic freezer bag. Mix the four cups of water with 4 tablespoons salt and 3 tablespoons of sugar. Stir well to combine and taste. It should be more on the salty side than the sweet side. Pour into bag with chicken and seal well. Marinate in the brine for at least 24 to 48 hours.
2. When ready to cook chicken, remove from refrigerator at least 40 minutes before. Drain and discard all of the brine, set chicken aside.
3. In one dish, combine the buttermilk and hot sauce, stir well to combine and set aside. In another dish, combine the flour with cornstarch and all of the seasonings, stir well, set aside.
4. In a heavy, deep pot, preheat the oil to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. One at a time, dredge each piece of chicken in the seasoned flour, then dip into the buttermilk, then back into the flour. Use your hands to press flour onto chicken. Transfer chicken pieces to lined baking sheet and let rest until oil comes up to temperature.
5. Fry only 2 to 3 pieces of chicken at one time so you do not overcrowd the pan. Fry the chicken for 17 to 19 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking time. Remove one piece of chicken and check the temperature with a meat thermometer, should read at least 165 degrees. Let chicken rest on a plate lined with paper towels for at least 15 to 20 minutes, it will be hot! Yields ups to 4 servings