Pollo Frito -Crispy Fried Chicken
Craving crispy fried chicken, wings or tenders? This easy formula yields extra crispy fried chciken!!
- 5 cups water
- 4 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 section onion
- 4 cloves garlic'
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1/3 cup buffalo hot sauce
- 3 cups flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder or cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons turmeric optional for color
You Will Also Need
- 2 pounds chicken thighs (8 pieces) bone in, skin on
- About 5 to 6 cups of oil for frying
In a pot, add all of the ingredients for the brine. Heat to medium heat and cook just until it comes up to a simmer. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
Transfer the chicken to a large plastic freezer bag. Pour the brine into the bag with chicken and seal well. Marinate in the brine for at least 24 to 48 hours. You could also marinate in a storage container if that is easier.
- When ready to cook chicken, remove from refrigerator at least 40 minutes before. Drain and discard all of the brine, set chicken aside.
- In one dish, combine the buttermilk and hot sauce, stir well to combine and set aside. In another dish, combine the flour with cornstarch and all of the seasonings, stir well, set aside.
- In a heavy, deep pot, preheat the oil to 300 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
One at a time dip chicken into the buttermilk, then into the flour. Repeat with buttermilk then again in the flour. Use your hands to press flour onto chicken. Transfer chicken pieces to lined baking sheet and let rest for at least 20-25 minutes while oil comes up to temperature.
Fry only 2 to 3 pieces of chicken at one time so you do not overcrowd the pan. Fry the chicken for 17 to 19 minutes, turning over halfway through cooking time. Remove one piece of chicken and check the temperature with a meat thermometer, should read at least 165 degrees. Let chicken rest on a plate lined with paper towels for at least 15 to 20 minutes, it will be hot!
For Chicken Tenders: Cooking time is between 7-10, turning as needed.
For Wings and Drummettes: Cooking time is between 14-18 minutes, turning as needed.
The flour mix and buttermilk are good for about 24 wings or 24 tenders
After taking the chicken out of the brine, I let it come to room temperature on a paper towel lined baking sheet.
The dipping sauce is simply tomatill avocado salsa with toasted pepitas blended in there. Tasty!
Bacon Chipotle Mac n Cheese!!
Even with the chicken wings sauce, they were still very crispy!!
Crispy Fried Chicken Wings! Bacon Chipotle Mac n Cheese!