Tamales Dulces-Sweet Tamales
- 1 stick of butter at room temp.
- 5 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup pineapple preserves
- 1/2 cup pineapple diced
- 1/4 cup finely crushed pecans plus more for garnish (crushed or halved)
- 15 to 20 corn husk
- 1 cup of cajeta or dulce de leche for garnish slightly warmed
- Soak 20 corn husk in really hot water, set aside.
- Cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. In another bowl, combine the masa harina, baking powder and salt. Gradually add in the warm water until dough forms.
- Mix in the masa to the creamed butter/sugar mixture. Fold in the pineapple and crushed pecans.
- Shake off excess water from corn husk and fill them with about 3 tablespoons of filling down the center. Fold over to close and arrange open side up in steamer pot. Add plenty of water and steam for one hour. Remove from heat and let stand for 20 minutes. Yields 15 to 20 tamales. Garnish with dulce de leche or cajeta and pecan pieces.
- Tips~ When steaming tamales, set your timer for 30 minutes and add a little more hot water to ensure it will not run out. Start heat on high, then reduce to medium. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.