A simple dish of freshly blended tomatoes with fresh chile serrano or jalapeños. Add that to some queso fresco or panela slices, combined with onions and sometimes poblanos… A very rustic and common Mexican recipe prepared in a variety of ways. The most often used cheese is queso panela or queso fresco. They are good for this because of their low melting point. You want a cheese that can stand up to the warm salsa, scooped up to enjoy with tortillas, chips or Mexican bolillos ( a mexican type of roll). This is one of my top 5 favorites of my Mom’s recipes. All the comforts of home.
Queso en Salsa(Chile Con Queso)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion sliced into strips
- 1 small poblano sliced into strips
- 2 serranos sliced into rings
- 3 to 4 roma tomatoes roughly chopped
- Splash of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces of queso panela or fresco sliced
- Avocado slices for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet at medium heat. Add the onions, poblano and half of the serranos. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- In the blender add the tomatoes, remaining serrano chile, pinch of salt and pepper and a 1/3 cup of water. The water is just to get the tomatoes to start to blend. Blend on high until smooth, taste for salt.
- Add the tomato sauce to skillet and cook for 8-10 minutes or until sauce becomes darker and thicker. Add the cheese slices and cook just until cheese softens and warms. Serve right away with warm tortillas, chips or mexican bolillos(rolls). Garnish cilantro and avocado slices. Yields up to 4 servings.
Tips~ If you prefer salsa verde over salsa roja, just substitute tomatillos in this recipe for the tomatoes.
Tips~ If you are not crazy about big pieces of onion, just blend them with the tomatoes when you make the sauce.
Here is a smoother red salsa prepared with red chile fresno and a few jalapeño slices in the salsa. No poblanos for this recipe.
For Salsa: 2 large roma’s chopped, 2 red fresno chiles, chopped, 1/4 white onion, 1/3 cup water, pinch of oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth and then follow instructions for recipe above. Garnish with cilantro and avocado slices….
Queso Fresco for this recipe on this particular day.
Queso Con Chile en Salsa Verde(Chile Con Queso en Salsa)
For the recipe above I used a tomatillo salsa previously prepared. The chiles are jalapeño and fresno. Click link to find tomatillo salsa recipes.
I had previously prepared salsa de mesa on this day. Did I mention I love Chile Con Queso en Salsa???? Find recipes here http://pinaenlacocina.com/2014/04/25/me-pico-la-salsa-salsa-basics/
Salsa of choice this day was a tomatillo salsa with chile de arbol. See link above for tomatillo salsa recipes! Egg is a must for brunch!