The following recipes are my top picks for a complete game day or super bowl party. I must confess, I am not the biggest football fan, but I do love how people get excited about the dishes prepared, lol! They really go all out. For recipes, click onto the picture of the recipe you like and it will take to the full recipe.
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
3 1/2 cups whole milk
2 cups monterey pepper jack
1 cup asadero or chihuahua cheese, shredded
Pinch of cumin
Salt and fresh cracked pepper
Heat the butter to medium heat in a sauce pan, add the flour and whisk together. Cook for a few minutes, add the cumin, salt and pepper. Add the milk and cook until it almost comes to a boil(don’t let it boil). Add the cheese, stir well to combine….done!
Variation: you can use a mix of cheeses if you’d like, use olive oil, instead of butter…add a little chicken broth to thin out the sauce….add roasted green chiles to the sauce.
FRITO CHILI PIE
However you layer your Frito Chili Pie, the key ingredients are a spicy beef chili, fritos and cheese! Then the skies the limit on how you want to pile it high.
BACON WRAPPED POPPERS
PICO DE GALLO/SALSA FRESCA
HOMEMADE CHILI SAUCE RECIPE FOLLOWS PICTURE
BEEF CHILI SAUCE
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken or beef broth
14 oz can diced tomato w/ green chiles
8 oz can jalapeno “El Pato” brand tomato sauce or use regular tomato sauce w/ 2 tablespoons hot sauce
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon smoked parika
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon pepper
salt to taste
1/2 pound ground chuck (You could use 1 pound if you like, but I wanted it to be more of a chili sauce with just some beef)
1. In a large skillet, heat oil to medium heat. Add the onions, garlic and jalapeno. Saute for 6 to 8 minutes.
Add in the flour and cook for another minute.
2. Add all ingredients in the order listed, minus the beef. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and taste for salt. Add in the beef and break into smaller pieces using a flat edge wooden spoon. As is cooks down break the beef down until it looks like fine crumbles. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly. Yields 6 servings. Flavor will improve overnight, so I would suggest preparing a day or two ahead. Great for chili dogs, nachos, chili cheese fries!
BLOODY MARY CHIPOTLE SHRIMP
TOMATILLO AVOCADO SALSA
GRILLED SHRIMP AND CHORIZO POPPER
SINCRONIZADAS/ DOUBLE STACK QUESADILLAS
BACON AVOCADO & TOMATO FLATBREAD
GRILLED BEEF OR CHICKEN SLIDERS
BAKED TORTILLA CHIPS
For Chile Infused Chips, Brush one side of corn tortillas with chile oil. Cut into thirds or quarters, sprinkle with salt and bake for about 16 to 20 minutes at 395 degrees F., turning halfway through baking time. Sprinkle with chile limon powder as soon as they come out of the oven.
And finally for my last pick, I want to end on a sweet note. Because after all that spicy, savory and zesty food, I always crave a sweet ending. My favorite cookie recipe spiked with a little espresso and cinnamon.
ESPRESSO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant espresso
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
10 oz. bag Ghirardelli bittersweet chips (60% Cacao)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
2. Combine the flour (both varieties), espresso, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a bowl and set aside.
3. Cream together the butter with both brown and granulated sugar until creamy. Mix in one egg at a time and vanilla.
4. Add the dry ingredients into the wet until well incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls or cookie scoop 24 large cookie dough balls onto lined baking sheets. Flatten slightly and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, rotating pans halfway through baking time. You want the edges to just turn a light golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before removing from pan. Yields 24 large cookies.