This is a simple Mexican plate of comfort food from home. This was a typical dish that my Mom would prepare for brunch on the weekends. Served with warm pan bolillo and avocado slices, simply delicious! For this recipe, I used a bagged pork cracklin since we have no Mexican carnicerias around here. At the carniceria, you get that warm chicharron by the pound…oh so good! Scroll to the bottom to check out how I prepared the carniceria style chicharrones with my slow cooked pork belly. For now, this quick version satisfies my craving and reminds me of those weekend brunches with my parents after a trip to la pulga (flea market) in Houston.
3 roma tomatoes, quartered
2 to 4 serranos (2 roughly chopped and 2 diced)
1/4 to 1/3 cup water
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup white onion, sliced into thin strips
4 ounces chicharrones
1. In the blender, add the tomatoes, 2 serranos(roughly chopped), 1/4 cup water and pinch of salt. Blend on high until smooth, set aside.
2. In a skillet, preheat 2 tablespoons of olive oil to medium for a few minutes. Add the onions and diced serranos, cook for 3 minutes. Add the salsa from the blender and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Add in the chicharron and stir well to combine. Reduce heat and cook for another 3 minutes. Serve right away with warm tortillas and refried beans. Yields 4 servings.
Tips~ You want to taste for salt before adding more. The chicharrones already have alot of salt in them. This recipe for Chicharron en Salsa can be made with any of your favorite salsa recipes, add a little sliced queso fresco too!
Tostadas de Chicharrones en Salsa Picosa (Pork Cracklings In a Spicy Salsa)
3 tomatillos, roughly chopped
3 roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 to 3 habaneros, stems removed
1/4 of a small white onion, reserve the rest for recipe
1 clove garlic, sliced
1/4 cup water
Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
You will also need
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 jalapeño or serrano, sliced into thin rings, optional
1 pound prepared chicharrones(cracklings), chopped ( you can find them at Mexican markets or carnicerias)
2 cups refried beans
6 to 8 corn tostadas
Tips~ for a milder version of this recipe, replace the habaneros with 1 serrano or jalapeno
1. In the blender, combine all the ingredients for the salsa. Blend until smooth, taste for salt and set aside.
2. In a large skillet, preheat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes at medium heat. Add the onions and chile pepper rings and cook for 2 minutes. This is a spicy salsa, so you can eliminate the extra peppers if you like.
3. Add the salsa from the blender, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for 5-6 minutes. Add the chicharrones and continue cooking for 6 to 8 minutes or until the salsa thickens and chicharrones soften.
4. Serve on tostadas with refried beans or warmed tortillas. Garnish with green onions. Yields up to 4 servings.
Carniceria Style Chicharron en Salsa Roja.This will be as close as I can get to enjoying those carniceria chicharron. Once you learn to cook your own pork belly, you can freeze it and use it in countless recipes. And when I prepared my pork belly recipe from above, I knew I would be making my own Carniceria Style Chicharron en Salsa! July, 02, 2014
Click onto picture to see the full recipe on how to prepare pork belly for chicharrones.
*Meaty pork chicharron made from slow cooked pork belly
1 pound cooked pork belly, sliced into 1/2 in. pieces
1/3 cup onions, diced
2 serranos, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 roma tomatoes, chopped
Splash of water
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a cast iron pan on medium/low heat, add the sliced pork belly. Cook for 35 to 45 minutes or until the fat starts to render out and the pork becomes crispy in most spots. If it’s too dry, you can add a tablespoon of oil. A faster version would be to deep fry them, but I prefer this method.
2. While the pork is cooking, add the tomatoes to the blender, along with a splash of water. Blend until smooth, set aside.
3. Add the onions, serrano and garlic to the pork and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce from blender, mix well, lower heat and cook until it becomes thick and reduces. Taste for salt. Serve right away with beans, warm tortillas and avocado slices. Yields 4 servings.